Learn how to automate your coding workflow and use a text editor like a professional Ruby developer.
Have you always wanted to learn how to use the Vim text editor, but never knew where to start? Then this is the course for you. My name is Jordan Hudgens, and I’ll be your instructor for the course. In addition to being the lead instructor for devCamp I’ve also been building web applications for over a decade for organizations such as Eventbrite and Quip.
After completing this course you will know how to code with the Vim text editor. But that’s not really a big deal. If you just wanted to use a text editor there’s no point in learning Vim. Vim is more than a text editor, you can ask professional developers from around the world and they’ll tell you that Vim development is a lifestyle. Which is why I don’t stop at simply teaching you how to use the editor. After going through the basics I will show you have to use Vim like a professional Ruby developer to automate your entire development workflow. This will include learning:
- How to process Ruby code so that it renders right inside of the file, this makes it possible to efficiently debug and build Ruby programs without even having to leave the text editor!
- How to customize the Vim environment like a pro, including how to integrate the file system, multiple view panes, and even how to customize the keyboard shortcuts so that you can focus on your code and not the editor.
- How to install Vim plugins, such as being able to perform fuzzy file searches and autocomplete.
This course is not for beginners, the ideal students for this material are those who have some level of Ruby experience and want to take their skills to the professional level. I won’t be teaching much Ruby code throughout these lessons, instead this course will walk through how to setup your development environment to maximize development efficiency.
In additions to the lessons, as a student you will be given access to my personal Vim setting file and a Vim cheat sheet that I’ve spent the past several years creating so that you can use it as a reference as you continue to learn how to use Vim.
Please feel free to review the course curriculum and I look forward to going through the material with you on your development journey!
What are the requirements?
- You should have access to a Mac or Linux computer (or use Linux on a PC with VirtualBox)
- You should have basic knowledge of the Unix command line
What am I going to get from this course?
- Build Ruby programs efficiently with a fully customized Vim environment.
- Implement custom keybinding to customize Vim to match your workflow.
Who is the target audience?
- This course is for Ruby developers who want to learn how to use and configure Vim for building Ruby programs.
Full Details : [ Take Course Now ]